Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Going Green?

I have a very dear and lovely friend who has recently decided to "go raw." I'll have to admit that while I have attempted following pretty much every other incarnation of vegan or vegetarian diet...raw, I have never really wanted for myself. Maryann's birthday was coming up, so I thought I would try to find a cool raw "un"cookbook for her, and in the process came across this recipe (which I wrote down in my mind, so I'm not even completely sure where it came from, or if I remember it correctly).

Raw Key Lime Pie Smoothie!

Serves 1

3/4 cup fresh G. Smith apple juice (Granny Smith, but Grant likes to take credit)
Juice of 2 small limes (about 1/4 cup)
1 ripe banana, chopped and frozen
1/2 avocado, scooped out
2 t agave (or whatever is necessary to make it delicious)

For the apple juice I quartered 2 granny smith apples, and roughly chopped off the core. You don't HAVE to do this, but because apple seeds do contain trace amounts of cyanide, many granola types recommend removing the seeds--especially if you are planning to drink a bushel of apples. On that note, I suppose you don't have to make the juice fresh either, but when in Rome, or Los Angeles...


I decided to go ahead and throw the limes, halved, into the juicer as well. Why bother juicing them by hand when you have a dirty juicer just sitting there, waiting for anther meal? The juicer, on a side note, happens to have a been a birthday gift from the lovelies Maryann and Eric. Ahhh, life, coming full circle.


The only necessary step, after doing all of your juicing, is to whirl everything together in a blender. Taste the mixture, before pouring it out of the blender, to make sure it is sweet enough. You may need more agave for yummies, depending on the sweetness of your apples, limes, and banana.


And of course, the only small problem with this recipe is that number of dishes that have to be done afterwards! But I guess that is why they call me the messy chef...I'll leave those for another time. For now, to enjoy my pie!

No comments: