Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Gluten Free Waffles



After searching high and low for a gluten-free and egg-free waffle recipe online, I found nothing. Boo. I even tried one recipe from the back of my Ener-G sweet rice flour box (although, to their credit, they did mention that egg replacers would not work in the provided gluten-free waffle recipe). Abysmal. But then I thought to myself: "Sarah, you are a smart girl...you can do this." So after a mini-pity party, I got back to it. This time, I used all of my Bachelor of Science smarts to make waffle genius all by myself. As an added incentive, I decided to make the waffles in cow and duck form, and I think this was the little something that pushed these waffles over the edge. You could try to duplicate my results with a conventional, square waffle iron, but I dunno...

Sarah's Smarty Pants Gluten Free Waffles

Makes approximately 10-12 ducks and cows

Dry ingredients:
1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup Bob's Red Mill gluten free AP baking flour
1/4 cup sweet rice flour (I used Ener-G brand)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum

Wet ingredients:
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup water
2 Tablespoons sunflower oil
2 Tablespoons agave nectar
1 Tablespoon lecithin granules

Preheat your waffle iron.

In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients to incorporate. In another small bowl, whisk together wet ingredients until slightly foamy. Add the wet mix to the dry, and combine well. The batter will thicken as you mix, on account of the xanthan gum working its magic. You do want the batter to be on the thicker side, so fight any urges from deep within to thin it out further (one of my many mistakes the first time around).

Make sure your waffle iron is up to temperature, then coat lightly with cooking spray. Because this batter doesn't pour particularly well, use a spoon to place about 1/3 cup of batter into the iron. Depending on your waffle iron, you may need to fill it more or less to make a happy waffle. Be sure to cook it long enough to form a bit of golden-crispy-ness, about 3-5 minutes, depending.

Again, I am placing the cows and ducks in a freezer container for Grant breakfasts. "Big strong Grant Pants had a farm, E-I-E-I-O, and on his farm he had a duck, with a quack-quack here, and a quack-quack there, here a quack, there a quack, everywhere a quack-quack, big strong Grant Pants had a farm, E-I-E-I-O..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah! I am just loving your blog!!! I am in the process of starting one, as well, to document my ups and downs, successes and, well, not successes, of cooking. The farm animal shapes make these waffles too cute to eat, however =)
xo

the goocheys said...

yum! i love good gluten-free breakfast recipes. with my colicky baby it seems like i may need to go back to a dairy free diet as well, so i'm happy to have found a fun vegan blog!